Friday, June 27, 2008

A Kate Story

Anybody who knows Kate will love this story. It shows all of her traits, determined, obsessive, quick thinking, man if I can just get this kid to the age of 20.....

So we were over at my friend Emily's house the other night. Emily got on her lap top to show me something and Kate started in. "I want a laptop so bad" "my parents won't ever give me anything I want", "I am going to get married when I am 10, so I can do what I want and get a laptop", "I have wanted one forever, or at least since I was three (then doing quick math in her head)5 years"

So Emily, like all of my friends, fall for Kate rhetoric and says, "well if your parents say it is O.K. I have an old lap top that I can give you". Wow Kate's new best friend. She went home with fingers crossed that Dad would say O.K.. She woke up with fingers crossed.

So Flemming and I talk about it and figure it is worth a try but their had to be some rules established.

Rule 1. It is not your own computer......Kate's answer to that...."WHAT...Abby and Maddie can use the kids computer together....they need to learn to share....I am the youngest and already know how to share...." So she eventually accepted that rule.

Rule 2. It is mom's computer and she lets you use it as she sees fit....If you are not acting appropriately you will not get the privilege......Kate's answer ....urrrrgh

Rule 3. The computer could not be taken to her room and used....had to stay on the main floor....this kid may be only 8 but she is very internet savvy....I can not risk her using the computer in private.... Kate's response ......urrrrrgh

So at this point I felt like she needed to write out what she was hearing me say.....So I could check for understanding. The following is what she wrote....



I thought I might have a problem I talked to her more about the understanding of the rules and she ran off in a huff.....

Later I get this note (you must understand that I get these notes quiet often, the check yes or no was an added touch)




So needless to say, we went by Emily's house tonight.....and the picture speaks volumes....one very happy girl.....at least for tonight.....Thanks Emily


6 comments:

emily said...

That is the best thing in the whole world..that just made my night! She is adorable. She is going to go places. She is my new little friend. You have to teach her at lest instant message so she can remind me how weird it is that I'm not married yet:)

Totally priceless!

Wendy Knowlton said...

This is exactly why I keep checking your blog! You never know what is going to happen with your kids, and I love the way you tell the story! Thanks for sharing!

Dina said...

Love that Kate!

Paige said...

That is hilarious and I can totally see Kate doing and saying everything you said. Hope she has fun and cant wait to hear more stories!

Elaine said...

Heehehee! That's Kate that I miss soooo much just like the rest of her family! (hint hint, wink wink)

-Whit :) love ya peoples

onecent said...

how cute! I love the picture! and the cute little notes are so fun aren't they? circle YES or NO
lol